Thursday, December 21, 2006

Not warhammer related...

But a project I'm working on none-the-less. For several months now I've been working on encoding all my dvds and VHS movies to digital files on several hard drives (Quit an endevour when you consider I have over 1000 dvds alone) with the intention of building myself a media center/server computer system. Well I was talking with some friends last week who asked if I wanted any extra computer parts. The extra parts ammounted to a mother board, a mid-level video card and a case. Thinking about it, I figured I could use the parts to build a "proof of concept" machine for myself.
Now, here's where the real work comes in. I want to put the finished machine in with the stereo and AV material in my parents living room. But I didn't want this ugly beige computer case sitting there. So I needed to turn the case side ways.
However, my parent's are slighty technophobic (YEah, if you haven't already guessed, I'm the tech priest of the family). So I needed to make it resemble something my parents are already comfortable using.
So after some though, I decided if I rotate the DVD drive so it is parallel with the case, I could make the system resemble a DVD player (which I finally got my mother to use after 4 years).
So, here's the results of my effort thus far:

I'm going to craft a case housing out of acryllic then give it a jet black finish. I'll post more pictures as they are availible. Oh, on the note of this project, I'd like to give a big shout out to the fellas over at www.thebestcasescenario.com who have been a tremendous help to me on this project thus far, and continue to be supportive of my efforts. Thanks guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home