Thursday, September 07, 2006

I died for the Emperor...

Well, a couple months back I saw the preview shots of the then up-coming Venerable Dreadnought for the Space marines. I wasn't particularly thrilled with it. So I set about to craft my own Ven-dread. After much research, testing, carving, cutting, replacing, deciding, bending, heating, removing, and bandages here is the outcome:
Built around the torso of a Blood Angles Furioso dread, I started by adding embellishment in the form of Plasticard strips that line the armor plating of the torso. Peice of advice: Plasticard bonds to Super glue VERY quickly! So test fit, test fit, TEST FIT!!!!! To keep the dread appearing wise and, well venerable, I added lots of additional pieces in the forms of purity seals, sacred scrolls, and banners in addition to additional marine Iconography.

The assault cannon I found on a discarded Dread sprue. Once again I added embellishment by lining the armor plating of it with plisticard. Under the barrels I hung a banner which I intend to write litanies of service on at some future date (When ever I get around to painting this guy that is)
I used the power-plant from the throne of Judgment due to it's more archaic look (Plus I like the four exhaust ports). Additional pieces I used from the Throne of Judgment include the banner poles atop the torso. A note about the banner poles: I realize this in hind sight and it is my fondest hope that you will learn from my errors. The banner pole on the left, the one with the banner mostly off the pole itself, is extremely bendable. In hind sight, I would have cut out the original pole and replaced with brass tubing as tubing is more resistant to bending then pewter. I would also have cut out guide grooves in the back of the torso to line the banner poles up correctly. As they sit now, they are glued into the L formed from the power plant and the torso. It seemed fine in theory, but in practice the Throne of Judgment’s power plant does not line up with the Dreadnought torso correctly giving a slightly cock-eyed alignment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home