Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Black Knight? White Knight? Grey Knight?

Once again a random creation of my boredom. I tried a couple tricks with this fellow. First was the left arm. The power fist is actually a spare power fist from the Space marine Commander sprue. So that needed it to be pinned in place and likewise for its shoulder. And then I needed to build in the joint with some green stuff. Pretty standard stuff really. The next step: The wrist mounted storm bolter!
I took an extra storm bolter from a dread sprue, and that was where the challenge started. First thing I did was cut the belt feed from the ammo clip. Then I cut the ammo clip from the bolter housing. I took the ammo clip and turned it so that it now faced out and away from the bolter housing, as opposed to up and behind in it’s original orientation. I then took the ammo belt and cut it into three segments. The first segment was the initial bend that would come directly out of the Storm bolter. The second was a single ammo joint that I need was going to be the main point of contortion. The third segment contained the remaining links. Using a small pin vise drill, I drilled a hole the three segments and then passed a piece of florist wire through them. I them glued the wire connected segments to the ammo clip on the storm bolter. Using a pair of make up tweezers I then directed the ammo feed up along the arm and under the shoulder guard. I then glued the feed in place. I used green stuff to fill in the gaps in the feed.
The next point of conversion on this model is the right shin guard (I know you can’t see it. Pictures will come). I attempted to emulate the Grey Knight iconography on the shin of this model. By carving out a depression about 2 centimeters deep, I gave myself a hard lined place to work with in. I filled the depression with green stuff and used the bladed end of my sculpting tool to etch out resemblance of letters in the green stuff. I met with limited success. The green stuff tends to overflow when pressed with the blade, and when I tried to shave the over flow off, it tended to pull the entire strip out of place. I think it may have had to do with the consistency of the green stuff. Next time I think I will use a 25/75 mix of blue and yellow.
The last major point of conversion is the force/power weapon. Built out of a Thunder hammer arm, I chopped off the hammer head, and attached the blade of a company champion. To extend the hilt some, I attached the shaft of a Grey Knight’s force halberd I had sitting in my bitz box.
Lastly were the power cables running from the thunder hammer connection to under the shoulder guard (I Know I know, the shoulders do NOT supply ammo and power. Next time I’ll run the power cables to the back of the Armor)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the force/power weapon conversion... I may have to steal that idea as I am looking to add some grey knights to my Templar force in the near future.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home